The purpose of the Cultural Council for Palm Beach County’s Solo Gallery is to provide Palm Beach County-based emerging, mid-career or professional visual artists with an opportunity for a solo exhibition (typically a full series of their work or a sampling of work representative of their career evolution). Previously, Solo Gallery exhibitions were offered year-round to members of the Council for a competitive fee and typically ran for one month. In FY21, the Council will transition into a non-paid, competitive selection process for this gallery in an effort to provide opportunities for artists of any means by FY22.
Interested artists can submit an application and sample work to be considered by a vetting committee made up of Council staff and board as well as professional artists and arts experts. The 2021-2022 schedule will include six solo shows that run for six weeks each.
Services* to the artist include:
- Dedicated Artist Services Coordinator available to assist in the selection of the artwork to be displayed, install/de-install the show, handle logistics and sales, and answer all questions along the way.
- Announcement postcard (self-mailer) with an image and short artist statement/exhibition summary. The Council will design and print 300 cards (up to 200 available for the artist to distribute and 100 will be displayed at the lobby desk).
- Opening reception for up to 50 guests with light refreshments provided (subject to COVID-19 restrictions); Artist is responsible for handling invitations and RSVPs.
- Inclusion of the show on Council’s website and in e-newsletter (monthly), artist newsletter (monthly), press announcement (monthly) and select collateral materials (Season Preview brochure, Annual Report, etc.).
- Exhibition signage, including: Wall vinyl and artist bio in gallery; dedicated A-frame sign in front of the Council’s headquarters; and TV monitor graphic in the lobby.
- Opportunity to be a “Featured Artist” in the Council’s social media program
(Total value: $3,500)
*Services may be adapted to current conditions related to COVID-19 and associated state, county and CDC guidelines. Some alternatives may include a virtual tour, limited entry visits to the Council building, and alternative marketing options.
- Call to Artists Open: Thursday, April 1, 2021
- Deadline for Submissions: Sunday, May 23, 2021
- Vetting Committee Meets (virtually): Week of June 21, 2021
- Artists Contacted: Week of July 12 (No later than July 16)
How to Submit:
Artists are invited to submit an artist statement, brief bio and 5-7 images of individual artworks representative of the artwork to be considered for inclusion in the 2021/2022 Cultural Council Solo Gallery exhibition schedule. Artwork may be any medium including: photography, video, works on paper, sculptural installations, crafts, and textiles. Files must be jpg or pdf, no larger than 5 MB per file. Please include all artwork information (Title, Date, Dimensions, Medium, Edition, Insurance Value).
The application period has now ended. Selected artists will be notified no later than July 16, 2021.
By submitting a proposal each participant agrees to the following conditions:
- The applicant will receive an email notification on the status of their application no later than July 16, 2021 with recommended exhibition dates.
- The artist must be the sole author and owner of the title and copyright of all artwork entered.
- Once selected, the participant and the Cultural Council for Palm Beach County will coordinate exhibition, opening reception or similar virtual opening, artwork drop off, de-installation and pickup dates and times.
- Selected participants are responsible for the delivery and pickup of the artwork(s).
- Participants will receive and sign a Memorandum of Understanding and a loan agreement with the Cultural Council for Palm Beach County stating the dates and exhibition terms.
- To receive sales proceeds, the participants must submit a W-9 for payment purposes.
- The Cultural Council for Palm Beach County has permission to photograph, videotape, and reproduce any work submitted to the exhibition for publicity purposes unless otherwise stated in writing.
- All artwork will be insured on premises as long as a list of artwork titles, descriptions, and values is presented prior to delivery on site. Artwork is not insured while in transit to and from the Cultural Council for Palm Beach County.
- The Cultural Council for Palm Beach County cannot store artwork for a later pickup; artwork must be picked up on the designated de-installation days.
CaFÉ offers a robust Help for Artists section to guide you through any technical issues during the application process.
- Help for Artists (includes how to apply, uploading media, FAQ, troubleshooting, etc.)
- How to Apply for Artists (includes application information and video)
- How to Apply to Calls on CaFÉ (YouTube Video)
The Council’s Artist Resource Team (ART@palmbeachculture.com) is also available to answer questions about the application, and hosted a Zoom meeting to assist artists with the application process on Thursday, May 6 at 4 p.m.