Had enough of brutal spring weather? With wintry precipitation and wind chill values of 15 degrees in the Northeast during this first week in April, it’s a perfect time to get away and savor arts and culture comfortably in The Palm Beaches, Florida’s Cultural Capital®. Easier to reach than the Hamptons, and caressed by balmy spring ocean breezes among the palm trees, Palm Beach County is home to more than 200 cultural organizations. The Cultural Council of Palm Beach County suggests a dozen ways to experience the arts in the mild open air or air-conditioned comfort during April:
- April 6-14, experience the Palm Beach International Film Festival.
- North America’s largest environmental film festival, Wild & Scenic Film Festival – A Change of Course, takes place at Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse and Museum, April 9.
- April 8 – 10, The Delray Affair stretches for 12 city blocks along the palm tree-lined streets of Delray Beach.
- The only collector car auction on the East Coast, Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction, takes place at South Florida Fairgrounds April 8 – 11.
- The 11th Annual Bluegrass in The Pavilion concert is at Henry Morrison Flagler Museum, April 9.
- Palm Beach Symphony hosts a Monumental Engagement with virtuoso pianist Lola Astanova at Kravis Center, April 10.
- April 16 & 17, Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens Hatsume Fair transforms the tranquil site into a Japanese spring festival with taiko drumming, martial arts demonstrations, samurai sword fighting performances, Japanese dance performances, Japanese street food vendors and more. (Photo included)
- April 22, Dolly Hand Cultural Arts Center presents Black Violin, a blend of classical, hip-hop, rock, R&B, and bluegrass named one of the hottest bands at SXSW.
- How to Build a Forest — an installation by Shawn Hall and collaborators will be at Armory Art Center April 23 – May 14. The New Orleans-based artist will collaborate for a 4-day VMAW Site Specific Installation: Visual Art and Environmental Awareness.
- The Broadway production of The Bridges of Madison County — The Broadway Musical comes to Kravis Center April 26 – May 1.
- SunFest — Florida’s largest music, art and waterfront festival — will feature 50 bands along the scenic Flagler waterfront April 27 – May 1. (Photo included)
- The Annual Palm Beach Jerk and Caribbean Culture Festival lights up Meyer Amphitheater, May 30.