LAKE WORTH BEACH, Fla. (April 26, 2021) – The Cultural Council for Palm Beach County announces an open call to Palm Beach County artists to be considered for an exhibition within its Solo Gallery space in Lake Worth Beach. The 2021-2022 schedule will include six solo shows that run for six weeks each between October 2021 and July 2022.
Building on the mission of the Council to champion, engage, and grow the local cultural sector, the Solo Gallery’s purpose is to provide Palm Beach County-based emerging or professional visual artists with an opportunity for a solo exhibition featuring a full series of their work or a sampling of work representative of their career evolution. Previously, Solo Gallery exhibitions were offered year-round to members of the Council for a competitive fee and typically ran for one month. In fiscal year 2021, the Council transitioned into a non-paid, competitive selection process for this gallery in an effort to provide opportunities for artists of any means by fiscal year 2022.
“The Cultural Council continues to explore new ways to provide valuable services to creative professionals—especially in the wake of COVID-19,” says Dave Lawrence, the Council’s President & CEO. “This new process underscores our commitment to inclusivity, diversity, and equity—and it’s my hope that it opens our gallery walls to new faces and points of view within the community. “
Criteria for the Call are as follows:
- Artists who are eligible to apply must live in Palm Beach County.
- Artists may submit no less than five and no more than seven files of image, sound, or video of existing artwork to provide the selection committee an understanding of their work and process. Artwork may be any medium, including photography, video, works on paper, sculptural installations, crafts, and textiles.
- Each artist must submit a brief bio and an exhibition proposal, which must include the proposed number, dimension, title, medium, date and insurance value of works to be included in the exhibition, as well as a statement describing the series of work, an explanation of the amount of work already produced, and a timeline for completion of the proposed exhibition materials. The proposal should not exceed 500 words.
- Joint proposals will be accepted as one submission with one artist as the primary contact. There may be no more than three artists participating in a joint submission.
- Artists who are chosen to present a solo exhibition must be prepared to deliver their work ready to install on any of the available exhibition dates.
Artists are encouraged to apply for the 2021-2022 Cultural Council Solo Gallery Exhibition by submitting an application and sample work online through CaFÉ (callforentry.org) to be considered by a vetting committee made up of artists, visual art professionals, and representatives from the Cultural Council board and staff. The Cultural Council will be hosting a workshop via Zoom to assist artists with the application process on Thursday, May 6 at 4 p.m. The deadline for submissions is Sunday, May 23, 2021 and exhibitors will be notified the week of July 12, 2021.
For more information about Solo Gallery Exhibitions and the application process, please visit www.palmbeachculture.com/artists.