Local arts agency’s free exhibitions and performances will be available on social media, online
The Cultural Council for Palm Beach County today announced their upcoming Virtual Summer Programs, highlighting works by local visual and performing artists. The free programs run from June through September and include the first-ever Virtual Summer Performing Arts Series and four virtual exhibitions, giving community members the chance to enjoy an arts-filled summer from the comfort of home.
“We felt it was extremely important to find ways to keep local creative professionals working through the pandemic. Many have lost work due to COVID-19, and these programs provide the featured artists with a platform for creativity and exposure to new audiences,” said Dave Lawrence, the Council’s president & CEO. “Through these virtual programs, we hope to provide our community with joy and inspiration in a time that we all need it most.”
Hosted by WPTV NewsChannel 5’s T.A. Walker, the Council’s Virtual Summer Performing Arts Series will feature several Palm Beach County performers in special live broadcasts streamed for free on YouTube and the Council’s website. All performances start at 7 p.m. Donations to the Council and directly to the creative professionals are encouraged.
- June 20: “Broadway Jazz: A Jazz Tribute to Musicals” (Featuring: Yvette Norwood-Tiger)
- July 11: “A Latin Affair” (Featuring: Jill & Rich Switzer and Friends)
- Aug. 1: “The Man with the Horn” (Featuring: Jill & Rich Switzer and Friends)
- Aug. 15: “In Other Words” (Featuring: Meri Ziev)
- Aug. 29: “One Love: A Tribute to Bob Marley” (Featuring: Soda Pop and the Insiders)
- Sept. 5: “Cheek to Cheek” (Featuring: Jill & Rich Switzer and Friends)
- Sept. 12: “Art Shift: An Evening of Dance” (Featuring: Libby Faber, Arise Dance Collective; Demetrius Klein, Demetrius Klein Dance Company; Donna Goffredo Murray; Anna Nunes, AGWA Dance Company; and Ericka Squire, Natural Movers//Dance Project)
Summer Performing Arts Series sponsors include Wells Fargo; Eric Friedheim Foundation, Inc.; Great Charity Challenge; Community Foundation for Palm Beach and Martin Counties; Legends Radio; and WPTV NewsChannel 5.
Patrons can also enjoy the following virtual exhibitions (limited in-person tours may become available by appointment at a later date):
- June 13 – July 18: Sharon Koskoff: “Alone Together” a mural of 164 six-inch square submissions by 113 local artists created during COVID-19 quarantine. Prints of the individual pieces will be for sale on the Council’s website to benefit the Council’s Artist Relief Fund, a campaign to provide small grants to creative professionals in need.
- June 20 – July 18: Philip Paritsky: “Kodachrome or iPhone?”
- July 25 – Sept. 12: Ken Davidoff: “Photographs of Palm Beach Pop Festival, 1969”
- Aug. 1–29: Petrina Easton: “Summer Abstraction”
Summer exhibition sponsors include the Donald M. Ephraim Family Foundation and Wells Fargo.
Virtual tours of the exhibitions, artist interviews and other content will be scheduled on Facebook Live and other social platforms. Follow the Cultural Council (@palmbeachculture) for times and dates. Proceeds from artwork sales directly benefit local artists and support the Council’s mission to grow arts and culture in Palm Beach County.
For more information on how to watch the Virtual Summer Performing Arts Series, visit palmbeachculture.com/summer.
For more information on how to view the exhibitions, follow @palmbeachculture on Facebook and Instagram or visit palmbeachculture.com/exhibitions.