CALL TO ARTISTS
Compass LGBTQ Community Center
Compass Community Center (Lake Worth, Florida) is announcing a call to all professional artists of Palm Beach County to create mural for the main stage backdrop of Palm Beach Pride on March 30 and 31.
All artists over the age of 18 who live or work in Palm Beach County may submit a proposal for a site-specific installation which will be showcased at Bryant Park during the festival on the main stage.
This year’s theme celebrates “50 years of Pride”. Details for the specifications are below.
Proposal for a work on canvas or another suitable material that measures 23’x10′ to be hung as the stage backdrop should be submitted via cd-rom, jpeg or tiff files by February 20, 2019, no later than 5 p.m. Artists will be notified in writing late February. No telephone calls please.
Criteria for the exhibition are as follows:
- Professional artists preferred. A professional artist is one who devotes a major portion of their time to creating, practicing, performing or teaching any of the arts.
- You may submit one design for installation within this space. As the installation will be temporary, it is preferred to be created on canvas, or another suitable material that measures 23’x10′ to be hung as the stage backdrop. Keep in mind it should be visible to viewers from afar. Rights to the work will be retained by Compass at the end of the event unless sold at the event. Should the work be sold, it is required to stay on the stage until 6:30pm on March 31, 2019.
- As there is no stipend, Compass can offer a Pride Sponsorship to the artist at the $10,000 level that will include a 10’x10’ vendor space. The space allows the artist to sell their artwork—100% proceeds of the profits go directly to them. The sponsorship packet has been attached this call for your review.
- Supplies for the mural installation maybe provided through Compass.
ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- A current, professional resume (curriculum vitae)
- Two-paragraph maximum artist statement
- One-page maximum description/rendering of proposed installation
- No incomplete submissions will be accepted.
Jpegs or tiffs may be sent via CD-R. Work submitted on CD-R must be sent as a quality, high resolution tiff or jpeg file saved as: Last Name of Artist-Title (abbv.)-jpeg, for example: Jones-Compass.jpeg or Jones-Compass.tiff. Adobe Photoshop will be used to open these documents on a PC. Please list all included works on or in the CD case corresponding to the number as on the artist’s name, title of work, media and dimensions.
Incomplete or late entries will not be accepted. All entrants will be notified of the results of the selection process late February. Please do not call to inquire about status.
Please have postmarked or deliver all materials by February 20, 5pm to:
Compass Community Center
201 N Dixie Highway
Lake Worth, FL 33460
Artists will be notified in writing. No telephone calls please. After work has been accepted, a substitution cannot be made nor a change in the artwork. Artwork must remain with Compass for the entire festival. No early withdrawals. Any selected work that upon delivery, has been altered significantly (from entry submittal) as to dimensions, scale or color without prior approval from Compass, will not be accepted into the show.
Installation of accepted artwork to and from the Council is the responsibility of the Artist. All accepted artwork will be installed at Bryant Park, on Friday, March 29, 2019. Time for install will be arranged with Compass.
Works can be listed for sale at a price determined prior to the exhibition opening. All proceeds from the booth go 100% to the participating artist. Please have a mobile device that is connected to a sales feature (i.e. Clover) for credit cards and cash on hand for those who wish to pay cash. I would personally not accept checks.
All artwork exhibited in this exhibition must be picked up the evening of breakdown on March 31, 2019 starting at 6pm. Please contact Compass directly if you need to make special arrangements.
- Slides, thumb drive or CD-R of proposed design
- Updated Curriculum Vitae
- Artist Statement
- Submission Deadline: February 20, 2019, 5pm