The purpose of the Solo Gallery is to provide Palm Beach County-based emerging or professional visual artists with an opportunity for a solo exhibition (typically a full series of their work or a sampling of work representative of their career evolution). Previously, Solo Gallery exhibitions were offered year-round to members of the Council for a competitive fee and typically ran for one month. In FY21, the Council transitioned into a non-paid, competitive selection process for this gallery in an effort to provide opportunities for artists of any means.
Interested artists will submit an application and sample work to be considered by a vetting committee of visual arts professionals. The 2023-2024 schedule will include six solo shows that run for six weeks each. Artists must live in Palm Beach County, Florida to be considered for exhibition.
Services* to the artist include:
- Dedicated Director of Artist Services available to assist in the selection of the artwork to be displayed, install/de-install the show, handle logistics and sales, and answer all questions along the way.
- Announcement postcard (self-mailer) with an image and short artist statement/exhibition summary. The Council will design and print 300 cards (up to 200 available for the artist to distribute and 100 will be displayed at the lobby desk).
- Opening reception for up to 50 guests; Artist is responsible for handling invitations and RSVPs.
- Inclusion of the show on Council’s website and in e-newsletter (monthly), artist newsletter (monthly), press announcement (monthly) and select collateral materials (Season Preview brochure, Annual Report, etc.).
- Exhibition signage, including: wall vinyl and artist bio in gallery; dedicated A-frame sign in front of the Council’s headquarters; and TV monitor graphic in the lobby.
(Total value: $3,500)
- Call to Artists Open: March 31, 2023
- Deadline for Submissions: May 12, 2023
- Vetting Committee Meets (virtually): Week of May 22, 2023
- Artists Contacted: Week of June 5, 2023
- Possible Show Dates*:
- October 13 – December 2, 2023
- December 8, 2023 – January 20, 2024
- January 26 – March 9, 2024
- March 15 – April 27, 2024
- May 3 – June 14, 2024
- June 21 – August 2, 2024
*Subject to change
How to Submit:
Artists are invited to submit an artist statement, brief bio and up to seven images of individual artworks to be considered for inclusion in the 2023/2024 Cultural Council Solo Gallery exhibition schedule. Artwork may be any medium including: photography, video, work on paper, sculptural installations, crafts, and textiles. Files must be jpg not larger than 10 MB per file. Please include all artwork information (Title, Date, Dimensions, Medium, Edition, Insurance Value). The artist must be the sole author and owner of the title and copyright of all artwork entered. Please list top three choices for show dates in application.
Submissions will only be accepted by the online platform CaFE.
By submitting a proposal each participant agrees to the following conditions:
- All applicants will receive an email notification on the status of their application no later than June 9, 2023. Selected applicants will also receive a designated exhibition date.
- Once selected, the participant and the Cultural Council for Palm Beach County will coordinate exhibition, opening reception or similar virtual opening, artwork drop off, de-installation and pickup dates and times.
- Selected participants are responsible for the delivery and pickup of their artwork(s).
- Participants will receive and sign a Memorandum of Understanding and a loan agreement with the Cultural Council for Palm Beach County stating the dates and exhibition terms. Artists should not have concurrent solo exhibitions within Palm Beach County and are expected to inform the Cultural Council of planned or proposed solo or group exhibitions that will occur during the exhibition year.
- To receive sales proceeds, the participants must submit a W-9 for payment purposes.
- The Cultural Council for Palm Beach County has permission to photograph, videotape, and reproduce any work submitted to the exhibition for publicity purposes unless otherwise stated in writing.
- All artwork will be insured on premises as long as a list of artwork titles, descriptions, and values is presented prior to delivery on site. Artwork is not insured while in transit to and from the Cultural Council for Palm Beach County.
- The Cultural Council for Palm Beach County cannot store artwork for a later pickup; artwork must be picked up on the designated de-installation days.
CaFÉ offers a robust Help for Artists section to guide you through any technical issues during the application process.
- Help for Artists (includes how to apply, uploading media, FAQ, troubleshooting, etc.)
- How to Apply for Artists (includes application information and video)
- How to Apply to Calls on CaFÉ (YouTube Video)
- Dave Lawrence, President & CEO, Cultural Council for Palm Beach County
- Jessica Ransom, Director of Artist Services, Cultural Council for Palm Beach County
- Sybille Welter, Administrator of Public Art and Culture, City of West Palm Beach
- Carolina Puente, Independent Curator
- Etheard Joseph, 2023 Solo Gallery artist