Guest Juror Curator
Associate Curator of African-American Art at the Detroit Institute of Arts
April 21 – June 24, 2023
The Cultural Council for Palm Beach County enthusiastically announces an Open Call to Palm Beach County artists for its 2023 Biennial. This edition of the Cultural Council’s Biennial welcomes visual artists residing in Palm Beach County to submit their artwork for the exhibition opening on April 21, 2023. The 2023 Biennial is juried by Juana Williams, the Associate Curator of African-American Art at the Detroit Institute of Arts.
The 2023 Biennial will feature three prizes chosen by the guest Juror/Curator. The top prize will be $2,000.00, while second will be $1,000.00 and third $500.00. There will also be a People’s Choice award tabulated by votes made throughout the exhibition and presented after the exhibition ends.
Biennial open for submissions: December 1, 2023
Deadline for submissions: January 20, 2023
Announcement of participating artists: March 2023
Installation: April 17, 2023
Exhibition: April 21 – June 24, 2023
Deinstallation: June 26, 2023
Proposals will be accepted from individual artists or artist collaborators who live, work, study, or maintain a studio in Palm Beach County. Three artworks total may be submitted per entry. Only one entry per artist. There is no entry fee.
The guest Juror/Curator will be solely responsible for choosing the top three awards, while visitors to the exhibition will choose the People’s Choice award.
• First Prize: $2,000.00
• Second Prize: $1,000.00
• Third Prize: $500.00
• People’s Choice: $500.00
Submissions for 2023 Cultural Council Biennial
Artists are invited to submit three images of up to three individual artworks to be considered for inclusion in the 2023 Biennial. Artwork may be any medium including but not limited to: photography, video, works on paper, sculptural installations, crafts, and textiles. Image files must be jpg or pdf, no larger than 5 MB per file. (Refer to CaFE limitations for audio and video files.) Please include all artwork information (Title, Date, Dimensions, Medium, Edition, Insurance Value). Submissions will only be accepted by the online platform CaFE
By submitting a proposal each participant agrees to the following conditions:
- The applicant will receive an email notification on the status of their application no later than February 24, 2023.
- Artwork selected must be installed as described in application.
- If the artwork is not as originally proposed in application, the Cultural Council for Palm Beach County reserves the right to cancel the artist’s inclusion.
- The artist must be the sole author and owner of the copyright of all artwork entered.
- Once selected, the participant and the Cultural Council of Palm Beach County will coordinate exhibition, opening reception or similar virtual opening, artwork drop off, de-installation and pickup dates and times.
- Selected participants are responsible for the delivery and pickup of the artwork(s).
- Participants will receive and sign a loan agreement with the Cultural Council for Palm Beach County stating the dates and exhibition terms.
- To receive prizes, the participants must submit a W-9 for payment purposes.
- The Cultural Council for Palm Beach County has permission to photograph, videotape, and reproduce any work submitted to the exhibition for publicity purposes unless otherwise stated in writing.
- The Cultural Council for Palm Beach County cannot store artwork for a later pickup; artwork must be picked up on the designated de-installation day.
About the Guest Juror/Curator
Juana Williams is an art curator and writer residing in Detroit, Michigan. Her curatorial practice predominantly focuses on deconstructing cultural and social issues, transgressing traditional boundaries of art criticism and curation, and countering anti-blackness within the arts. Williams is passionate about engaging communities, elevating diverse voices, and giving a platform to artists for innovative expression. She also persistently advocates for supporting artists and preserving art-centered spaces.