FAU Harbor Branch is a world-renowned oceanographic research institute located in Ft. Pierce, Florida. Our team of over 200 marine scientists, engineers and students make amazing discoveries every day and we need your help to share them! This is a great opportunity for you to expand your portfolio, learn about the ocean and use your work to educate the community about the importance of marine science. This year’s awards include an opportunity to have your artwork featured on the cover of our new Marine Science Activity Book, a VIP meet and greet with our researchers, behind the scenes tours and other great prizes. The phrase “Ocean Science for a Better World®” motivates us every day, now we can’t wait to see how it will inspire your next masterpiece!
This contest is open to artists of all ages, located anywhere in the United States. Artwork will be judged in three age categories: Adult, High School, and K-8.
CONTEST RULES AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Artwork must depict marine science research conducted at FAU Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute.
- Each participant may enter one piece of artwork, previous entries may not be resubmitted.
- An Entry Packet including the participant’s original artwork, a Registration Form and a Short Description (100-300 words) of the research portrayed and its significance is required for each entry. Incomplete Entry Packets or illegible documents will not be accepted.
- Artwork must fill a single 8.5” x 11” sheet of paper, be oriented in a portrait or vertical position, be flat and able to be scanned, and must not be laminated.
- Any hand-done, two-dimensional art/medium may be used; computer graphics or photographs will not be accepted.
- Artwork must be free of any writing or branding and the artist’s signature may only be placed on the back (in pencil).
- Entries will be accepted by mail or electronically between December 15, 2020 to February 28, 2021. If you have any questions, please contact Madeleine Arencibia at email@example.com.
Submitting Entries by Mail-
Must be postmarked by February 28, 2021. Mail your entry packet (artwork, registration form and short description) to: FAU Harbor Branch Ocean Discovery Visitors Center Attn: Ocean Science Art Contest 5600 US 1 North Fort Pierce, FL 34946
Submitting Entries Electronically-
Must be received by midnight on February 28, 2021 Email your entry packet (artwork, registration form and short description) to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Accepted file types are JPEG, PNG, TIFF and PDF
- Make sure your artwork is high resolution (scanning is encouraged), not crooked, and is easy to see and/or read.
- If your entry is chosen as a finalist, you will be required to mail a physical copy of the original artwork to us upon request in order to qualify as a winner.
Participants are encouraged to visit us online at www.fau.edu/hboi to learn about research at FAU Harbor Branch and view our virtual resources (lectures, tours and educational videos) for inspiration. Each entry will be judged based on creativity and relevance to FAU Harbor Branch research. Finalists’ artwork will also be eligible for an additional People’s Choice Award. This year’s prizes include but aren’t limited to an opportunity to have your artwork featured on the cover of our new Marine Science Activity Book, a VIP meet and greet with a researcher, specialty tours and items from the FAU Harbor Branch gift shop! Meet and greets can be redeemed in person or online via video chat. Other prizes will be mailed to winners.